Normally, we have the misinterpretation that our brain and our body are separated or they are segments that are not connected, however, if we pay attention we’ll notice that our head is STUCK to our neck. But, what does it mean?
Intermittent fasting diet schedule will be a powerful tool that you can use to increase your body potential and the quality of your life. When you’re healthy your brain is creative, enthusiastic, energetic because it is receiving all that it needs to achieve higher standards of performance. Although, when we decide to eat only junk food and astonishing levels of sugar, our body and brain suffer. The more you take care of your body, the more energy you’ll have and be able to accomplish more efficient tasks in a shorter period of time.
What Is A Intermittent Fasting Diet?
This kind of diet has a big difference with other diets. The intermittent fasting diet won’t tell us what we should eat or not instead they provide us the opportunity to eat whatever we want but in specific periods of time during the day. These periods will be called “cycles”.
We’ll have two cycles: eating and fasting. Each one will be organized in a schedule that is going to help us to know when we should eat or not. This organization will determine the type of intermittent diet we are taking.
This model of diet has been practiced during many years for important people like Socrates, Platon, or Budha. They thought that avoiding the pleasure of eating for some periods of time we would increase our level of self-awareness and the power of our brain.
How Does It Work?
The digestion process will appear immediately after we take a meal (no matter the size). In this process, our stomach will demand more blood flow and our energy will decrease. That’s why we can feel sleepy or tired after lunch, for example.
When you practice this incredible diet you’ll be able to decide the time for your body to go in this task. You’ll gain productive time and your levels of energy during the day will be more stables.
Anyway, the human body is not designed for this model of society where we live. Many years ago, we didn’t have supermarkets or stores to go and buy food so our body has evolved to achieve another kind of demands. Thus, we are better prepared for fasting than to eat 3 or 4 times per day, every day.
Our body works much better with periods of fasting because it can use that time to regenerate our cells and to go down the insulin levels in the blood.
When you eat, your body will take energy from the glucose that is in your blood to accomplish all the requirements that you can demand and it will need a certain amount of insulin to be able to use that glucose as a source of energy.
Fat is another source of energy that our body can take but it is just a reserve. It means that our body will take it only when it feels that there is not more glucose in the blood. So, what happens if we eat along the day? Our blood always will have glucose and will demand insulin to be able to process it.
If you reduce your eating time to 8 hours the levels of glucose will go down and your body will start using fat as a source of energy. This is extremely important because you’ll lose weight sacrificing fat and not muscle or water.
Your body will be more prepared to burn fat and you will be running away from possible heart attacks. You’ll develop higher levels of energy and your body is going to be more sensitive to insulin so your pancreas won’t need to synthesize the same amount as before.
Intermittent Fasting Diet Methods
16/8: is the most known method. It has many advantages because it’s flexible and it can be easily attained to your daily schedule. In this method, you’ll have a period of 16 hours where you have to fast while you are going to have 8 hours where you can eat all the calories your body needs.
When I say that this method is flexible I mean that you don’t need to follow a schedule to determine exactly what you must eat. Nevertheless, we have to remember that avoiding processed, high-sugar, or junk food will have a better impact on our diet.
YOU CAN DEVELOP YOUR OWN SCHEDULE! I think this is amazing because you’re free to set it up as you like. In my personal experience, I use this method between 11 am at 7 pm.
24 hours or Eat-Stop-Eat: this is powerful but it is not designed to everybody. Here you have to choose between one or two days during the week to fasting. You have to avoid eating 24 hours straight. In the next following days, you can eat normally as you eat every day. Don’t take one fasting day after another, you can do it just with a day with full food in the middle.
The 5:2: here you are going to consume only 500-600 calories on two non-consecutive days but you can eat normally the rest of the days. This is also a challenge because you are going to eat but with a deficit caloric so you have to be strong to eat only that amount of calories.
Achieving The Powerful Benefits
Contribute to cellular reparation: your cells have the opportunity to initiate a reparation process like the autophagy. Here, your cells will eliminate the old and dysfunctional proteins.
- Insulin resistance: this diet reduces the insulin resistance protecting us against problematic diseases as type 2 diabetes. The levels of blood sugar decreased by 3–6% and fasting insulin levels by 20–31% representing a high in the quality of our body to use the insulin. Also, when our body has the lowest levels of insulin it’s much easier to burn fat.
- Weight loss: this diet has the characteristic that even if we want to eat a lot the period will keep us satisfied. It induces a caloric restriction so we end eating fewer calories than before stimulating the process to burn fat.
- Anti-aging: there are still many studies on this topic but the average in animal studies determined that we can live 36-83% longer.
- Heart health: reduce “bad” LDL cholesterol, blood triglycerides, inflammatory markers, blood sugar, and insulin resistance.
- Human Growth Hormone (HGH): the hormone has a direct relationship with the loss of fat and maintaining the muscle mass.
- Gene expression: our genes prepare us better against diseases.
- Cancer: there are some animals studies that determine that can prevent cancer.
- Inflammation: many of chronicle diseases start with this factor. Intermittent fasting reduces the makers of inflammation.
- Brain health: the BDNF increases promoting the development of new nerve cells. It may also protect against Alzheimer’s disease.
Be Careful With This
Many of the benefits have been proven in animals studies but there are not total scientific conclusions in human bodies yet.
Avoid practicing this diet the following:
- Pregnants, adolescents in growing stage and children.
- If you are taking medications.
- Diabetes patient.
- If you are underweight.
- If you are breastfeeding.
- If you are a woman who is trying to have a baby.
Do You Have A Question?
1. What Happen If I Feel Hungry?
You can drink water, coffee or tea. Coffee is extremely good to dimish the sense of hungry. Remember that you can’t add sugar. A little bit of milk or cream may be good.
2. What Should I Do With My Vitamins?
You can take it but it would be much better if you do it with your meals in your periods of eating.
3. Should I Keep Going With My Gym Membership?
Of course. Take some supplements, BCAAs hours before on your eating time before you workout and everything will be good. You can find excellent options here.
4. Will You Lose Muscle With This Diet?
Yes. That’s why it’s important that you lift weights and keep your protein intake high. 5. Will I Die Without My Breakfast?
No. In fact, many people practice this diet instinctively because they wake up late in the morning or because they don’t feel hungry.
If you consume healthy food during the rest of the day your body will have all the nutrients that it needs.
I hope you enjoyed this post and if you have any question please let me know and leave a comment below. My desire is to clarify any doubt you can have.